Samsung, did you make these exploding headphones? As of Tuesday, it has been reported a woman’s headphones caught fire mid-flight.
Exploding Headphones on Airplanes, Beware
An Australian woman was listening to music for 2 hours on a flight from Beijing, China to Melbourne, Australia when she heard a loud bang. Yikes!
“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face,” said the woman in a statement released by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB). “I just grabbed my face, which caused the headphones to go around my neck.”
“I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire. As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them. They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane.”
Woah! Who made these exploding headphones?! Unfortunately, this very important piece of information is unknown at this time.
The woman, as you can see from pictures, has soot on her face, singed hair, and a few blisters on her hand from the incident. For the remainder of the flight, the cabin reportedly smelled like melted plastic and burnt hair.
If and when we find out the brand of these exploding headphones, we will be sure to fill y’all in. Until then, be cautious when electing your in-flight mean of entertainment.