Melco Audio has upgraded its two flagship Japanese-engineered digital music libraries, the HA-N1Z/2EX-H50 (HDD) and HA-N1Z/2EX-S40 (SSD), to include new, improved power supplies and new, higher-performance single-drive storage for the best-ever Melco sound quality.
The flagship N1Z series machines offer audio connoisseurs the choice of either solid-state or hard disc storage, both specifically engineered for audio. The SSD-based HA-N1Z/2EX-S40 now benefits from a new, high-performance 4 TB storage drive and the HDD-based HA-N1Z/2EX-H50 is supplied with a new 5 TB unit; both models feature the new single drives.
Melco’s implementation of the new single drives means its engineers no longer have to incorporate a RAID system (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) in the operating software, giving an immediate sound quality upgrade by using higher quality single drives.
Sound performance is extended further by the new and improved power supplies, making the current-generation Melco N1Z series the best it has ever been.
The new N1Z machines also feature the latest EX upgrades, plus the new February-launched firmware (v. 4.10), which adds Roon playback, plus a number of additional features, including markerless DSD compatibility for a greater number of devices, Twonky server stability improvements, and web page stability improvements.
Melco Audio’s General Manager Dan Raggett said, “The upgraded N1Z series offers discerning music lovers the option of either an HDD or SSD drive and both now make use of our new, high-quality single drives, instead of the previous RAID-based dual-drive system.
“By removing RAID architecture in the new models, we can give customers a sound quality upgrade, bolstered by our new and improved power supplies. These key updates really do take two already class-leading digital music libraries to a new performance level, further cementing Melco’s reputation in offering the gold standard of digital library playback.”
N1Z range key features
- Heavy aluminum extrusions, bead-blasted and anodized
- High stability, noise-eliminating H cross-frame construction for mechanical integrity
- Single-press power button and comfortable front-panel buttons with a reassuringly positive ‘click’ for easy operation
- OLED display to reduce internal noise
- Rear USB 3.0 ports: back-up, expansion, USB DAC or easy import from flash drive, CD drive, or HDD
- Three-pole IEC mains inlet with true electrical ground to define the source component as ground point, plus internal power-line noise filtration.
- TAOC vibration-isolating feet