It’s been quite the wait, but Sony has officially unveiled the brand new WH-1000XM4 to its industry-leading line of wireless, noise-canceling headphones. Sony’s previous iteration of this model, the WH-1000XM3 was widely popular amongst consumers and audiophiles alike, and people have been waiting to see what they have up their sleeve. Pre Orders are now available and can be purchased for $350.
Sony is still aiming to deliver the best noise-canceling technology around, and with the WH-1000XM4, looks to be even better. These headphones introduce dual noise sensor technology, a new system using two microphones, one on each earcup, that captures more ambient noise information and passes them through Sony’s new QN1 noise-canceling algorithm.
One of the most significant upgrades from the XM3 to the XM4 is the new multi-point connection which can pair two devices at once. With the touch of a button, you’ll be able to switch between devices smoothly. The WH-1000XM4 makes a notable upgrade from Bluetooth 4.2 to 5.0 and supports AAC, LDAC, and SBC CODECs.
Like its previous iteration, the XM4 will sport 30 hours of battery life while using NC, and 38 hours with NC off. Sony is touting that with the XM4 you’ll be able to get 5 hours of battery life with only 10 minutes of charge time.
Sony wants to improve upon its hands-free calling by upgrading its voice pickup technology. The XM4 will feature five built-in microphones with advanced audio signal processing, which is sure to deliver unparalleled voice clarity.
- Headphone Type: Closed, Dynamic
- Driver Unit: 1.57 “, dome type (CCAW Voice coil)
- Magnet: Neodymium
- Diagram: Aluminum coated LCP
- Frequency Response(Active Operation): 4 Hz-40,000 Hz
- Frequency Response(Bluetooth Communication): 20 Hz–20,000 Hz (44.1 kHz Sampling)/20 Hz–40,000 Hz (LDAC 96 kHz Sampling, 990 kbps)
- Sensitivities: 105 dB / mW (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on), 101 dB / mW (1 kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)
- Chord Type: Single-sided (detachable)
- Chord Length: Headphone cable (approx. 3.94 ft, OFC strands, gold-plated stereo mini-plug)
- Plug: Gold-plated L-shaped stereo mini-plug
MAJORHIFI may get a commission from retail offers.